add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with upgrading my 5 year old pc

DreSaGi
  • 1 month ago

Hi there, I was wondering if any1 could recommend the best things for me to upgrade on my pc which I got in 2014. I've listed the bits I currently have below. The graphics card was upgraded a couple of years ago but everything else is from the original pre build I gotin 2014. The case does make a lot of noise now and rattles a lot when starting up or under heavy load but not really sure what it is. I was thinking the CPU needs upgrading and was looking at the i9-990 but don't understand a lot about part compatibility. I did try finding my motherboard and other bits on the part picker buy guess they are too old as cudnt find them. Thanks for any help u can give..

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC - GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6183-KR

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7

Intel (Devils Canyon) Core i7 4790K CPU - 4ghz

TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit

Corsair RM Series RM 850 '80+ Gold' 850W Power Supply

Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

NZXT Phantom 410 Enthusiast Midi Tower Case - BlackOrange

Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gbs Basic

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache

Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

figure out where the noise is, and replace it. CPU is ok until DDR5 comes for 1080p 60+ fps games (outside of the really demanding ones).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks will do

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Check your fan curves. Fans might make a lot of noise while ramping up. And your rig doesn't really need an upgrade unless there is a specific reason.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'm really surprised as thought it being 5 years old something would likely need upgrading. I do have cash put aside for upgrading so guess I will hold onto it for a bit longer. It does seem to be getting slower but may be I need to have a bit of a clean up as got loads of stuff installed I don't use.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Intel hasn't done much in the last 5 years other than boost clock speeds, and upped core count to 8 on the i9s, obviously ram has shifted over to ddr4 so there is that. I would do a new install of windows and consider getting new fans if they are still noisy. Check with CPUID HWMonitor to check system temps and see if you need to work on your cooling solution, perhaps a new paste application etc

If your still after upgrades you are either looking at getting used parts from the same time as your pc was built or your looking at a platform change, ie new cpu, motherboard and ram. DDR5 ram isn't likely to drop onto desktop pc's until about 2021, they're being sampled now and will go through enterprise machines etc before they drop down to us.

Your cpu and motherboard appear to fetch decent prices on ebay so defo look into selling those and not throwing them away, I would hold off upgrading until summer though as nvidea is due to launch cards and a 1080 is still pretty good. New CPU's will launch too by then too. Your PSU is still good as those things last around 10 years, but I would retire your cooler as keeping them beyond 5 years isn't the best idea.

However if you upgrade to an AMD cpu in the near future on A4 socket you will still have an available cpu upgrade path open to you as this year's chips are still supposed to be on that same socket, intel is due to do another socket change from lga1151 to lga1200 and that probably won't last either as they try to catch up with amd and shrink to a 7nm process too.

hth

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Thanks you so much for that detailed reply. Will have a good think about it. Thanks again :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube