add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC upgrade - Feedback appreciated

GingaMilla

7 months ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/GingaMilla/saved/TpmyXL

This is what I currently stand with. Not 100% on some of the parts specially the motherboard as I am upgrading didn't know if to go for z370 or z390.

Not chose a power supply yet but thinking about going with a 650w.

RAM I selected I currently use so would that be sufficient with the upgrade or shall i look to buy new and better?

Any feedback and help is appreciated.

Edit - Also, i noticed these 2 at the bottom of the list;

• The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

Does that mean using 1x m.2 will disable a sata port?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Last question first, if you use m.2 #1 you lose one sata port. If you use m.2 #2 you lose two sata ports. If you use both you lose 3 sata ports.

If you are going with the 8700K, either Z370 or Z390 is fine. You can do a BIOS update on the Z370 (if needed) and it will then be able to run 9th-gen CPU's like a 9700K etc. As for RAM, what you have is a bit slow, but what I would do is go ahead and use it, and try to push the memory speed a bit. If you can get it to 2400 or 2666 it's probably not worth replacing. If you can't push it at all, it's still not worth replacing unless you find a really good deal on faster memory (say, 3000 MT/s or better).

550 watts would be plenty for this setup.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that information and clearing a couple of things up! To be honest finances are not a problem so if needs be I can get better RAM down the line or even from the start as i'll be selling my old parts once upgrading so not going to lose much money.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube