• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

sinly 5 days ago

Hellooo,

Im putting together a build for the bf because he's still playing on his old laptop. I'm going to get all the parts form my local Umart (I know it might cost a little more :( but its convenient)

He wants it to be intel with one of the latest cards but we're on a bit of a budget. Doesnt care too much about the aesthetics either. He wants to play the latest games but they dont have to be totally maxed out. We dont need software or peripherals and want to keep it around $1500 AUD or less if possible but there is wiggle room.

I tried to save $40 by getting the i5 9400f instead of the 8400 but pcpartpicker is saying I might have some BIOS issues - which id very much like to avoid since Im still pretty new to this. The total from Umart comes in at $1530

Ive looked at some prebuilt systems/youtube for reference but any extra help and insight would be much appreciated!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $266.20 @ Newegg Australia
Motherboard MSI - B360M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $118.00 @ Shopping Express
Memory Kingston - FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $169.00 @ Mwave Australia
Storage Western Digital - Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $79.90 @ Amazon Australia
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card $556.60 @ Newegg Australia
Case Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case $119.00 @ Mwave Australia
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.00 @ Austin Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1417.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 19:54 AEDT+1100

Comments Sorted by:

DanDan825 2 points 4 days ago

CPU cooler?, also get a 1tb hard drive, and case fans

sinly submitter 1 point 4 days ago

I was going to use the stock cooler for the moment! Ill switch out the HD too and going to re-use some case fans from an old build :)

DanDan825 1 point 4 days ago

Cool!

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 4 days ago

What monitor are you going to use? specifically what resolution and refresh rate? If he's playing at 1080p then you can save a bit with a GTX 1660 Ti and still get very good fps. As for the motherboard, your choices are to ask the retailer you buy from to guarantee that you have a 9th-gen-compatible BIOS on the board you get, or you can go with a Z390 motherboard which will likely cost just a little bit more.

Also, swap the PSU to an Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550w, which has more than enough power, will be a bit more efficient, and is slightly cheaper.

sinly submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Ittl be a 1080p moniter @ 60hz but thats only for now - he'll look to upgrade in a couple months. The mobo stresses me out lol - do you think its worth paying the extra for the z390 boards? -Swapped the PSU :)

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

The cheapest Z390 is A$170. I think you're better off just going with a B360, and either buy from a good volume seller or buy in person where someone can take a return or do a BIOS update if needed. All of the B360 stock from last summer on should have the proper BIOS so your chances are very good that everything will work.

Or if you're willing to pay the money for peace of mind, the Asrock Z390 Pro4 is among the cheapest Z390's and it should be entirely capable of driving a 9400. Just make sure that it has whatever ports you need (USB, SATA, fan headers, etc).