• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Judgment9923 5 days ago

After hours of research, I have either ordered online or bought the below list of parts in double amounts to build two identical gaming PCs for me and my 12 year old son. I was initially going to go for Ryzen 5 2600 processors, Tomahawk B450 boards and RX 580 graphics cards, but my local Micro Center had smoking deals on 1600 CPUs and B350 motherboards. The clerk at Micro Center also recommended that my GPU money would be better spent on the GTX 1660s they had in stock. After mail in rebates on some of the parts, I will be spending $610.92 before tax on each build. I know there are better parts out there, but this is our first stab at things and I am footing the bill for two identical builds and I would like to start in the shallow end of the pool. Those of you with experience, please give me some constructive criticism or better recommendations for parts in the same price range before I start unboxing/building. We are both psyched to ditch our Xbox Ones and build our own PCs. Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fNbynH Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fNbynH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.66 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($116.99 @ OutletPC) Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.95 @ Newegg) Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg) Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg) Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg) Total: $742.54 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-16 17:32 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

FancySnancy 1 point 5 days ago

I mean for gaming a 1600 should be fine and the 350 would work out of the box with it, it would limit your future upgrade potential . question is how much of a deal are they offering.

The gtx 1660 would be better then the rx580

Judgment9923 submitter 1 point 5 days ago

Fancy,

I got the 1600 CPU for $79.99 and ASUS ROG Strix B350 for $49.99, so $130 for both when the lowest price I could find for the 2600 CPU alone was $150. This deal alone forced my hand and got me from constantly researching and doing build lists on here to drive directly to Micro Center and buy 2 of each. Thanks for your thoughts on the 1660.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

I think you're good. The 1600 is a decently capable CPU and the 1660 will definitely beat the RX 580. If you find the 1600 coming up a bit short on fps, spend $50 on a pair of Cryorig M9a CPU coolers ($25 each) and see if you can't push the CPU clock up a bit on the two machines.

I don't normally recommend B350 motherboards, as too many of them have "version 1" issues; but as far as I know, that Asus board is one of the better ones. Update the BIOS to current and you can refresh the CPU's down the line if you feel the need.

Judgment9923 submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Thanks for your thoughts.

DanteLovesPizza 1 point 5 days ago

For the price you paid for the CPU and motherboard, deal.

As for the GPU, ask yourself this first: is the RX 580 enough? The question at hand is what your demands are. What games do you play? Are you gaming on a 1080p monitor? Are you happy with 60 FPS? Will you be satisfied with high detail, rather than max detail?

Here's my thought. The RX 580 can play all current games at 1080p, high detail, 60 FPS, no problem. For future released of modern AAA games, you might need to lower the detail settings a gradually, but if you only play e-sports games, like Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, etc, it won't be much a problem.

Now, the 1660 clearly has more longevity to it, but not by a lot, if you're concerned the RX 580 won't be enough a year down the line because you don't want to lower detail settings and want to keep playing new AAA games, then there's no contest, 1660 wins, but do note longevity wise, I'm probably only giving it about an extra year over the RX 580 in doing that. This is merely my conjecture and there's honestly no statistics backing this claim.

Value, if you're happy with the RX 580 and you actually don't mind lowering settings or you don't actually need that much graphics, because you're playing e-sports games, in all honesty, price to performance is close for them. However, one last thing to consider and this may or may not tip you towards one or the other, depending if you want/have them. If you get the RX 580 from Newegg, you get a choice of two of three games, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5, The Division 2. Now, this held a lot more value two months ago, since they weren't released yet, but they still hold enough value. Resident Evil 2 is older, so I'll leave it out. Devil May Cry 5 and The Division 2 haven't been released long, if you want these games and they cost you $50 each, that means it's $100 in value for them, take that off the cost of a $190 RX 580, the RX 580 essentially is only costing you $90. If you factor this in, $90 for an RX 580 vs $230 for a 1660, the RX 580 has unbeatable value. However, if you don't want these games or if you already have them, meaning they don't play a factor to your decision at all, then the choice is yours. Perhaps the 1660 is better if you don't want to upgrade as soon.

For the PSU, honestly, if you get the 1660, 450W is honestly more than enough. You definitely don't need 650W, and in fact you don't even need 550W. If you get the RX 580, then get 550W, because the RX 580 uses slightly more power. 650W is way overkill for whichever GPU you choose for the builds.

Everything else looks good though.

Just my opinion.

Judgment9923 submitter 1 point 4 days ago

We both have ViewSonic XG2402 monitors, so yes 1920X1080, 144hz, gaming on mostly shooters (Fortnite, Apex, CS:GO and The Division 2). The decision between RX 580 and GTX 1660 was thrown on me by the associate in store. I was set on the 580 until he suggested that I at least consider the 1660 as it was newly in stock at their store. My son had been in my ear for awhile about NVidia cards performing better. I went for the 1660 after weighing the pros of it being new to market and maybe performing a little better for longer. Trust me, the free games were heavily considered as The Division is one of my main games, but I wouldn’t see either of us playing either of the other two so I will just wait for it to go on sale and buy it myself. I totally agree on the PSU, but I wanted 80+ Gold, fully modular and the 650 watt was the cheapest on here (even less than the 550 watt same model. I figured at least I will have the extra power for the future if I need it. Thanks for your advice. I feel pretty good about throwing these together as our first builds after hearing from a few of you. See you online!

DanteLovesPizza 1 point 4 days ago

I don't know the demands for The Division 2, haven't seen gameplay and benchmarks for it yet, but the other three games are not that demanding, an RX 580 would've been enough even for years to come.

Nvidia performing better... It's really a lineage comment now, just like people still think Intel is better than AMD for gaming. At the highest level, yeah, that comment is true. 9900K vs 2700X, no contest, 9900K wins. 2080 Ti vs Radeon VII, no contest, 2080 Ti wins. But that's about it, the moment you come down a notch, both arguments are already invalid today. For example, RX 580 is equivalent to a 1060, is 1060 "better"? Yes, on games that are more optimised towards Nvidia than AMD, but there are games more optimised towards AMD, although more are optimised towards Nvidia. How much difference is that? +/- 10% at most, which is absolutely nothing in performance. If you took the free games into account, even if you only wanted one of them, which in your case is The Division 2, in value, the RX 580 has an edge over the 1660. Since you don't want it immediately and don't mind waiting for it to go on sale, and you want to ensure longevity lasts, then yes, 1660 is the way to go.

From what I can see on the PSU, the 550W variant of the FOCUS Plus is $5 cheaper. If I were you, I would've gotten the Seasonic FOCUS (no plus) 550W for $70. I know you wanted a fully modular PSU, but the FOCUS is semi-modular, meaning only the 24-pin power connector is attached, and everything else is modular. Regardless of what you build, that 24-pin power connector has to be plugged in anyway, so I wouldn't consider it an issue for modularity, and it's $15 cheaper. Oh well, just my take on this matter.

Good luck.

DanDan825 1 point 4 days ago

can i get a hoya