add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Concerns with NZXT 500 Case airflow capabilities

Pattyd16

8 months ago

Greetings, About to embark on building a mid-high end rig for the first time in ~ a decade or so and have nearly all my parts picked, I think. The only concerns with my build is the Nzxt 500 case, seeing lots of talk and reviews about it being a negative pressure set-up with only 2 exhaust fans.

The only concern I have is that due to the negative pressure cooling qualities of the fan set up in this case, will I face any overheating issues with my set-up, especially if I plan to overclock? Also, with it being negative pressure, would I be better off going with a blower style reference card instead of the open-air card that I currently have picked out?

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4kqNbX

Please let me know, since I'm pretty rusty on my pc knowledge as of late but think I have a decent build planned out. The other case I had in mind if this heating problem WILL be an issue is the Corsair 400C. Let me know your thoughts on which one I should go with! (keep in mind, I would prefer the Nzxt 500 based purely on looks)

Thank you

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

seeing lots of talk and reviews about it being a negative pressure set-up with only 2 exhaust fans.

Yeah that's the supplied config, but you don't need to leave it that way :D

I usually recommend moving one exhaust to the front, it does have 2 mounting points there, and adding an extra too for 2 in 1 out, presto-change-o, positive case pressure :D

The build looks ok overall to me tho 1070s are old gen now, 2070s are within that same sub $500 range and considerably more capable.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_1660_Ti_Ventus_XS/7.html
[has data for gpus up to 2070]

I would also change the psu and ssd.

550w is plenty for the build & still give you over 200w excess for overclocking & long psu lifetime.

NVME ssds are quicker for benchmark races, and one or 2 edge case scenarios (4k video editing? I forget tbh) but for everyday boot/loading times they offer no advantage over regular sata ssds, you can get a 1tb sata m2 for ~$20 extra.

And just so you know, 3rd gen ryzen is supposed to be dropping in ~4 months or so, although there's no hard/confirmed date/spec/pricing rumours seem to indicating a decent ipc increase along with a core count and ghz increase too, and for around the same kinda (launch) price range. Eg. 3600x is supposed to be 8 core/16 thread, 4-4.8 ghz and around $260, see sites like wccftech etc for more... "details" :D

If you've been waiting 10 years it might be worth holding fire for an extra couple of months just to see if any of those actually come to pass.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $69.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.00 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $134.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card $489.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1368.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-16 21:23 EDT-0400
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'll probably experiment with adding a fan at the front once I build the system.

As for the GPU, I'll probably take your advice and get the 2070 for around $500 just so I'm not regretting buying a 1070i when they soon become obsolete.

For the PSU I heard generally you want the wattage required plus a 50% buffer for overclocking, additional components, etc. etc. I"ll probably do that also then and downgrade to a 550w, just picked a 650w to be safe since I'm not sure how much extra power overclocking would add.

Thanks for letting me know about the NVME slot, I'll drop that for the cheaper sata version.

Last but most importantly, I really am looking forward to pc gaming and building this new system so I likely won't have the patience to wait since nothing is confirmed yet about the next Ryzen exact release date but...should I then get an 470x motherboard instead of my current b450 so that I have the best possible motherboard and can then upgarde to the new ryzen when it comes out if it seems attractive?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd prolly add 2 fans at the front if you leave the stock fans where they are, but as you say you can experiment with that later.

From recent generations I seem to remember a figure of around 30w each for oc'ing cpu & gpu, I'm not sure if that's still ballpark, either way 550w passes the 50% excess mark from the onsite wattage estimate (which is generally on the high side too iirc).

I'd prolly keep that mobo you have myself, ROG's are pretty high end iirc so it should have good quality power delivery and other components, generally the only thing x470 adds over b450 is support for multiple gpu configs.

Oh the h7 is rather priced atm btw, iirc that was a $35-40 cooler at launch, cryorigs prices do fluctuate quite a lot depending on stock levels. If the price hasn't dropped to normal by the time you pull the trigger I'd prolly change to something like the scythe fuma/mugen which are bigger & more capable and around the $50 range.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot for the valuable information and feedback! I wont be building for another few months, so that is very good to know, if I do see the cryorig price drop then I'll just buy it outright and have it on deck ready! If that is not the case, I'll definitely take a look and for sure consider those other options. Cheers

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome man, good luck with it and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > Cases".

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry my bad, first time user

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube